RAMSEY, N.J. – Orivet Genetic Pet Care, a leading international personalized medicine and genetics testing organization, announced on Tuesday, that the company’s canine health screen kits will support the identification of over 50 new genetic conditions.
Many of the new tests are breed specific and will be able to identify notable conditions like:
- POMC – A genetic mutation associated with overeating and weight gain
- Glaucoma – Optic nerve disease characterized by inadequate fluid drainage, which causes a buildup of pressure in the eye
- Muscular Dystrophy – A progressive, non-inflammatory degenerative muscular disease, which can cause a variety of significant health issues, including abnormal gait, muscle wasting, heart failure and more
- Epilepsy – A neurological disorder that causes sudden, uncontrolled and reoccurring seizures
- Cleft Lip/palate – A abnormal opening in the roof of the mouth commonly resulting in an opening between the nasal passages and the mouth
- Skull Diversity — The test identifies genetic loci (SNPs) that are responsible for the cranioskeletal differences that differentiate dolichocephalic and brachycephalic dog breeds
- Altitude Adaptation – Gene variant that regulates the production of hemoglobin in the blood, which allows a dog to better survive in high altitude regions where the supply of oxygen is limited
- May-Hegglin Anomaly – A rare inherited blood platelet disorder which causes the formation of large platelets and defects of the white blood cells
- Hereditary Nephropathy – Genetic kidney disease caused by mutations resulting in the loss of select collagen chains
“We are excited to offer support for these new tests, and to provide pet owners, veterinarians and breeders with more tools to help identify and implement early detection and preventive treatment for inherited diseases,” said Dr. Noam Pik, CEO of Orivet. “Using DNA testing to identify health conditions before they present themselves can help pet owners be more proactive with their pet’s health. Personalized medicine is the next major development in veterinary medicine, and for pet owners it can allow for better preventative treatment plans, cost savings with needed treatments and an improvement in a pet’s health over its lifetime.”
Orivet’s genetic DNA testing for dogs and cats allows pet owners to know their pet on the deepest level. DNA testing provides veterinarians with information about the pet’s genetic make-up and exposes potentially harmful genetic traits the pet may have.
Orivet is available in the U.S. and more than 40 countries worldwide and provides affordable DNA testing products that allow pet owners, breeders and veterinarians to better understand a pet’s specific genetic makeup and risk factors. The company offers comprehensive genetic screening for both dogs and cats, using a simple non-invasive mouth swab for the general consumer or a blood sample card for veterinarians.
Available tests from Orivet include, DNA health screening, breed identification DNA testing, full pure breed profiles, DNA profiling and parentage confirmation, and more.
To learn more about Orivet and its services or request a free DNA collection kit, please visit www.orivet.com.
About Orivet Genetic Pet Care
Orivet Genetic Pet Care is a leading personalized-medicine organization offering innovative health care solutions for veterinarians and pet owners. The organization was founded in 2010, on the premise that each and every pet is unique, with its own set of specific traits, behaviors, genetic health needs and inherent risks. Orivet works with veterinarians, pet owners and responsible pet breeders to provide practical, evidence-based platforms focused on identifying risk and improving clinical outcomes.
For media related inquiries, please contact our PR firm by emailing email@example.com or calling 813.279.8335.